My Guide Website?
Riga: Behind the Iron Curtain 3.5-Hour Communism Tour4 Reviews
Find out what was hiding behind the iron curtain in Latvia for 46 years on a 3.5-hour communism walking tour of Riga. Familiarize yourself with the Soviet Union legacy in Latvia and see real life the way it has been here for more than 60 years.
- Pass by one of the most popular restaurants of the Soviet times
- See the train station from which thousands of Latvians were deported to Siberia in Russia
- Walk by residential yards
- Be amazed and astonished at the antiquity of some of your surroundings
- Gaze upon the architecture of schools and other buildings from the Soviet time
- See an old bomb shelter (from outside)
- Sample traditional Russian cuisine
- Learn about the local way of life from an expert who lives in Riga
DescriptionSee Riga on foot and learn about the history of life behind the Iron Curtain on a 3.5-hour walking tour. You will be introduced to the Latgale region of Riga named Ķengarags, which is one of the most interesting and largest suburbs where locals do actually live and the way of life can be seen. During the tour you will feel just like you have stepped back in time, because almost nothing has changed in the looks and life of the Ķengarags suburbs. The one exception is that the Soviet military airplanes aren’t shaking the windows of the houses with the noise made from taking off at the nearby military airport of Rumbula. The architecture (living houses, schools, suburbs) of the Soviet times was very similar in the different parts of the union, with different cities sometimes having identical suburbs. By visiting Ķengarags you will get an understanding of the looks of other USSR cities.
IncludesTransportation Guide who is also a local resident of the visited suburbs Meal
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now